My first build/restore (96 Jetta)

This is a discussion on My first build/restore (96 Jetta) within the Project and Build-Up Section forums, part of the TunedTech's Features category; I kept telling myself to make a thread somewhere. Finally got around to taking the pictures. This is my first build/restore. i have not done much since i have a ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's Features   Project and Build-Up Section

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
tTECH member

My Ride: 96 Jetta 95 Cherokee
Posts Perday: 0.07

Default My first build/restore (96 Jetta)

I kept telling myself to make a thread somewhere. Finally got around to taking the pictures. This is my first build/restore. i have not done much since i have a very low budget and minimum wage does not help much, but I will update the thread as I go. Hoping this thread will help me keep track of my progress and note what i need to fix/build up next.

Im a bit tossed up on plans for this car. Im not sure if this 2.0 aba can produce the power im looking for, or if i just want to drop in a vr6. Either way, i have a long way to go before i spend any big money like that! Try not to flame me, i know the car is junk right now. Just trying to make do with what Ive got!

Bought the car for $500 from a crack head (maybe not crack, but i know he was a druggie). Got the heads rebuilt for $298 by BlockWelders In jax FL.

Had to rip off the grille since it was only hanging on by a few clips, also got new head lights from ebay $30.

Picked up some new OEM front struts/shocks, along with rear GR2 Shock/struts for $60 from craigslist.

The first one i tried to do by myself, took a total of 10 hours between 2 days. I had problems trying to get the top bolt off when the inner shock (the metal piston that goes in and out of the shock housing) kept rotating with it. Was extremely difficult to get a hold of it with vice grips. Even tried pipe wrenches! Eventually put a socket on the bolt, an allen wrench through the socket, a pipe wrench to hold the socket still, and vice grips to hold the allen wrench still. That got it done!

Salvaged the stock springs since the shocks didnt come with any, spring compressors from advanced auto were $30

After the drivers side was done i moved on to the drivers side rear. This is my daily so i only had a few hours to do this before work each day. Luckily the rear was a bit easier!

Had a few problems trying to get the whole shock/spring assembly out as the jetta has a weird rear axle.

Sadly, the nuts that came off the stock rear shocks where too small for the GR2. A friend stripped the threading on the top of the GR2, and i have not found a place that will rethread it yet. So i left the stock shock on the right passenger side.

I think it was a good thing i replaced the shocks/struts though, after pulling them off, i realized the struts would compress, but not decompress back up!

Here is the funny part.

I always had a good bit of neg camber on both front wheels. I thought it was designed that way, but it wasnt until i got to the front passenger side shock that i realized my CV axle bolt (you know, the one that holds the brake assembly on, and your wheel!) was missing! Along with a few bolts that had been broken off from rust. The person who did the brakes forgot my CV axle bolt!! I had been driving for about 3 months like this... I think im pretty lucky my wheel didnt fall off!

After replacing the bolts that where rusted out, and the cv nut, there was 0 camber on the front right tire. Sadly, i currently have neg camber on the front drivers side wheel because the cv nut is still loose. I have to find someone with an impact wrench (my mechanic friend did the other wheel with his, but its hard to reach him), or get my own and tighten it up. Pulls hella hard to the right now!

Now to the other things i plan to fix this weekend. This is all the electrical problems im having because of the retards who owned it before me. I am missing a few fuses on my fuse box, and that black wire runs to the fans. So im guessing the fans are bypassing the fusebox.

My spedometer does not work at all. I ordered a new speed sensor and just put it in yesterday but it still does not work. So im going to order a wiring harness next.

Then i will need a new alternator, since there is a clip for the wiring harness that broke off.

That little black dot at the bottom left, near the door is a switch that hardwires the starter directly to the battery. Im guessing they did this because the alarm doesnt work correctly. And in a vw, if the alarm doesnt like you, it wont let you start the car. Im hoping to eliminate this, but i also have to figure out whats wrong with the alarm.

Also seeingg a bit of antifreeze on my oil pan, got to find that leak.

Ground for the hood has been cut, this may have something to do with the alarm as well. Ill replace that when i get a new hood.

Tranny is looking a bit moist, shifting is smooth except for second, hoping the tranny lasts me a little bit.

The car isnt in its best condition, but i am trying my hardest to bring her back to life! I dont have the money to pay people to do things for me, so i am going about this as a learning experience as well.

Ive been really interested in getting some ABF 16v heads and converting it to 16v from 8v but alot of people are telling me it would be cheaper to just get a vr6 and upgrade from there. (cheaper for the power).

Ill continue to update as i go! Wish me luck!

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Home boy...

My Ride: g37x
Posts Perday: 1.10
DefaultRe: My first build/restore (96 Jetta)

The car got some potential.. good luck bro... Keep us updated
D one
A ccelerating

Old 04-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
tTECH newbie

My Ride: 06 Scion tC
Posts Perday: 0.03

I love builds!! Good start and platform. Euro's have so much potential.
Sam Hussein(aka Samsneez) WFC#210
State of Stance l Florida West Coast Coordinator
Squadron One l Head Staff
BRIDE Seats Japan Whole Sale
sam@stateofstance.com

Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
tTECH member

Just found a vr6!! The guy is asking $750 for the whole car. 99 mk4 jetta. The engine has about 98k miles on it , but isnt running. I went to check it out a few hours ago and it looks like its in great condition. No leaks, no cracks in the block. However, i am going to have a buddy of mine go out with me tomorrow and check the compression, make sure everything is going smoothly. The only thing that came to my attention was the spark plug cables were a bit screwed up. Only one of them, but the dealer ship said it was just the ignition system that needed to be replaced. Im a bit tossed up now, have 2 working jettas, or swap that vr6 into my mk3?

Check out the pics

He claims he is selling it because he has a wrx now and doesnt need to waste money on the jetta. I thought that was cool until he claimed to be running 17psi. If he is, good for the man, but thats alot for a stock motor imo?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Home boy...

My Ride: g37x
Posts Perday: 1.10

That's a pretty decent condition for the price..
D one
A ccelerating

Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
tTECH member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
That's a pretty decent condition for the price..
My point exactly, is why im getting the compression checked. It seems a bit fishy, but if its legit i am going for it

Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
tTECH member

New Drive shaft going on tomorrow.

Everyone is talking me down on getting that vr6, telling me parts are too expensive... fluids (oils for tranny and such) are over priced, and the engine is too complicated... but they are all people who try to buy things from the dealerships so i am kinda tossed up right now. He is holding it for 2 weeks for me to make a decision. And id love to have the only (no other that i know of ) vr6 mk3 modded jetta in jacksonville!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
tTECH fan

My Ride: 98 Accord
Posts Perday: 0.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlzzyDzzy View Post

Everyone is talking me down on getting that vr6, telling me parts are too expensive... fluids (oils for tranny and such) are over priced, and the engine is too complicated... but they are all people who try to buy things from the dealerships so i am kinda tossed up right now. He is holding it for 2 weeks for me to make a decision. And id love to have the only (no other that i know of ) vr6 mk3 modded jetta in jacksonville!
its up to you man...people telling you not to get it probably aren't car enthusiasts either. me i say go for it! $750 is a steal...you can probably part off the rest of the body for more than what you pay for. thats what a buddy of mine did