J30A4 V6 SWAP INTO AUSSIE EG Civic RACE CAR

This is a discussion on J30A4 V6 SWAP INTO AUSSIE EG Civic RACE CAR within the Project and Build-Up Section forums, part of the TunedTech's Features category; To quote Dirty Harry (gen X & Y ask Baby Boomers), "Go ahead - make my day" Well the day after a club motorsport double header of a night of ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's Features   Project and Build-Up Section

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
tTECH member

My Ride: Honda EG V6 race car
Posts Perday: 0.05
DefaultRe: J30A4 V6 SWAP INTO AUSSIE EG Civic RACE CAR

To quote Dirty Harry (gen X & Y ask Baby Boomers), "Go ahead - make my day" Well the day after a club motorsport double header of a night of deleriously enjoyable seriously sideways action at my local dirt circuit – followed by a hillclimb on Sunday in a borrowed 2 litre fwd Renault pocket rocket, the Fedex man certainly topped off this weekend for me when he knocked on my door with a flywheel for my conversion. It weighs 35lbs/15 kilos (more than twice the weight of all other Honda flwheels) - cost me $325 + $259 air freight - but as you can see it fits and the starter engages it perfectly.

After a lot of surfing I think I've tracked down the unusually long bolts required to attach it to the crank. They should arrive this week, then it's just a matter of selling my last remaining e-bay items so I can hopefully get the clutch kit here before the end of this month. I've just about had to empty my garage of saleable items as I've been unemployed and broke for 6 months... but my hopes are rising again that this project is now likely to be mobile before too long.

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
tTECH member

My extra long flywheel bolts just arrived - and they're the RIGHT ones with a 35mm reach! Almost twice the length of the Aussie ones on the left.

The Dual Mass Flywheel is now Locktite'd in place. You can see how thick it is.

This week I hope to have the $$$$$$$ from e-bay to order what I expect to be the car's final component - the competition clutch kit.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
Home boy...

My Ride: g37x
Posts Perday: 1.10

that look sexy
D one
A ccelerating

Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #19
tTECH member

Look what arrived today from America!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
ttech Super Mod

My Ride: 06 Mazdaspeed 6
Posts Perday: 0.58

Wow, this is the first time im looking at this build threat, what an amazing project you got going on here, good job, amazing progress, and its all finally coming together! i'm looking forward to seeing the end results.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #21
tTECH fan

My Ride: 98 Accord
Posts Perday: 0.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanook View Post
Wow, this is the first time im looking at this build threat, what an amazing project you got going on here, good job, amazing progress, and its all finally coming together! i'm looking forward to seeing the end results.
same here

Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #22
tTECH member

Even though my Civic Muscle Hatch is a race car not a show pony I thought I'd tidy up the interior a bit. With the whole dash, heater box & air con removed what was left certainly wasn't pretty, especially where I'd cut the end of the Accord's instrument pod

So I made up some covers out of sheet aluminium I'd kept when I replaced my solar hot water service

Then I ordered some carbon fibre vinyl wrap from China through E-bay for $25
and gave them a racing look

Then I moved to the Accord fusebox which I'd positioned near the driver's door. That was functional but seriously ugly

That looks a bit better!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #23
tTECH member

It's ALIVE !!!

Yesterday I'd done all I needed to on my new red Civic dirt car and my motorkhana special, so today I thought I'd just start fitting the clutch, pressure plate and gearbox to my Civic Muscle Hatch. I'd test fitted the box around ten times, working out the right way to introduce it to the motor.

All this previous work now paid off as by lunchtime I had the box & starter motor all torqued up.

Some shift cable work and time connecting up the loom, and by 4.00pm with everything going better than I'd expected I suddenly realised the next thing was to kick it in the gut.

I let the 355 lph fuel pump pressure up, then it started first go. I could only let it idle for a coupla seconds as the exhaust hasn't been fitted yet. Poor neighbours.

Tomorrow I'll fit all the driveshafts, front hubs, brakes, etc. Now - after 2 1/2 years building & waiting for parts - the car is at last only a matter of weeks away from being a goer. I cannot express the relief I felt after all I've been through building this project when that baby fired.

Last edited by Aussie V-Tec nut; 05-03-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #24
tTECH member

I had no problems at all putting in the driveshaft components. Once again test fitting and preliminary work made the final assembly a breeze. I bolted the huge V6 Accord brakes onto the 1991 4WS Prelude uprights. The giant 290mm discs are too large for 14 inch wheels - but they sure oughta stop me.

My Accord wiring loom still thinks it's an automatic in neutral, so the key won't come out of the ignition lock and the starter won't work off it. I'll have to unwind some of the unused centre console wires I taped up, find the ones that work this circuit, and join them together so it always thinks it's in "Park". The bright gear position lights on the Accord dash will show me when I've got the right ones.

Last edited by Aussie V-Tec nut; 05-11-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #25
tTECH member

Today's task was to overcome the starter wiring issues caused by the V6's automatic wiring loom now being attached to a manual gearbox. I've done auto to manual conversions a few times before, so based on that experience (and a look back at my reference pics of the V6 front cut interior), I went looking for the wires that used to go to the auto shift stick. There were about twenty I'd cut off and taped up, so I went through the process of trying every combination of wires. I had the ignition on and a mirror taped in place so I could see the gear indicator lights on the Accord's dash. Three hours and a sore back later nothing had had any effect.

There were lots of unused plugs on the loom above the box in the engine bay, all of which I'd labelled "Auto" before wrecking the donor car. I thought one of these might have originally joined up to a transmission position sender switch on the automatic, and as there were seven gear lights on the dash I reasoned the right connector would probably have eight pins on it. There was only one joiner with this many wires on it, and after a half hour play I could get the "Park" light to come on the dash. Now I could remove the key from the ignition lock, however the starter wouldn't spin off the key and I couldn't get the "Drive" light to go off.

I decided it was time to just bypass the clever little genius JDM man in the ECU, cut the starter wire at the ignition lock, and run my own wire straight to the starter. This proved a complete and easily done success. Fingers crossed - this car is gonna drive outta my garage in DAYS!!!

Last edited by Aussie V-Tec nut; 05-11-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #26
tTECH member

Here's what you've been waiting for !!!

Straight out the ports - so crank it up/

Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #27
tTECH member

After the high of yesterday I got back to the remaining tasks needed to be done to get this baby outdoors. Although a mate & I easily bled the brakes (I can do the rears from the driver's seat at the bias valve), we couldn't get a pedal. A check at the front discs showed both wheels had locked solid. I thought this might be a caliper clearance problem, but even with them removed I couldn't turn the discs.

Undoing the half tightened hub nuts got free rotation back, but then I thought "Oh hell - don't tell me I've got a driveshaft length problem". However when I tried just the driveshaft end in the hub with no connection to the gearbox the problem remained.... much to my relief! I thought it might be some incompatability between the outer CV's and the hubs - but then I remembered everything behind the wheels was 1991 Prelude 4WS. Haven't worked it out yet. Tomorrow's another day. I've come down with lousy flu (thank you darlin who works in childcare), so my thinking is slow and fuzzy. No rude comments please! The finger shows where I think the trouble is:

We also bled the clutch, but couldn't get a pedal on that either. Air bubbles coming up into the reservoir when the pedal was depressed indicated the rubber seals in the master cylinder were gone. Two years just sitting has caused perishing I'd say. So I spend an hour rummaging through all my Civic parts bins to find I actually haven't got a spare m/c. Gave them to others I think. So it's up to my local brake parts distributor, but he's got no kits listed for EG's. What's the world coming to? Don't these guys realise the EG is just coming into it's prime???

So I drive into Newcastle itself to THE brake parts distributor. Not only has he no kits either - he can't even supply me with the two new seals from the 800 he's got in stock. He has no new master cylinders in stock, and at $175 each I'm not interested. So I'll be ringing my mate Dave for the cylinder off the red EG he just wrecked last week.

Oh well, at least I was able to cut and file a large washer to hold a gear cable onto the shift mechanism inside. One small step for mankind - and two steps backward.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #28
tTECH member

Despite having a blacksmith pounding away inside my head today thanks to the current severe flu wog, I felt like playing in the garage - just for a little while, and as long as everything went well. Trying to solve the front hub jamming problem I sat there and thought about a number of friends here and on overseas forums who'd assured me the solution was to put a washer under the main outer hub nut.

But I finally dismissed all this good intended advice - realising that it would not make any more room on the inner side of the hub. I was just about convinced the problem was a CV metal dust seal issue. There's one on the outer CV and one lightly pressed into the inside of the hub.

I sprayed both the hub & outer CV with aerosol black matte paint, let it dry, and re-fitted the CV into the hub (with no connection to the gearbox. Eventually as I tightened the nut I could get it to lock but still allow me to stiffly turn it. I then took it apart, and saw a very fine line on the CV body. It was a rub mark from the metal inner dust seal. So I easily flicked the ring out of the hub with a screwdriver, put the CV back into the hub, fully tightened it... and had free rotation.

Don't ask me to explain why this problem cropped up, as all these hub parts were factory assembled together on the very same car. I might grind the edges down on the hub seal and re-fit it... or leave it off altogether as this is mainly gonna be a circuit car.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #29
tTECH member

I think I'm getting over the "Sudden" flu I've had. My head is clearer and my cough bearable. I wanted to overcome some binding issues at my front hubs. Firstly I ditched the inner CV metal dust seals and re-assembled the driveshafts onto the gearbox & front hubs. Everything still turned freely after tightening. Great.

Next step was to fix a binding issue with mounting the Accord discs onto my Prelude hubs. Close examination showed the inner edge of the outer part of the caliper was jamming on the outer edge of the disc just at the last tightening of the mounting bolts.

Coupla packing washers positioned the caliper in the correct plane.

I'm not happy with where the oil filter on the V6 ended up. It sticks a bit outside and below the engine bay in a place where it's liable to get ripped off in a "racing incident". A quick cruise on e-bay led me to a great oil cooler and filter re-positioning kit, and it just so happens the seller is in Newcastle. No postage on this item when I get it!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #30
Home boy...

My Ride: g37x
Posts Perday: 1.10

that is super lowww....
D one
A ccelerating