How do I start photography as only a hobby?

This is a discussion on How do I start photography as only a hobby? within the Photography & Photographers forums, part of the TunedTech's Lounge category; I like taking pictures but I really want to learn photography. Should I take courses for it? What courses should I take just to learn basic stuff for photography? This ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's General   TunedTech's Lounge   Photography & Photographers

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Posts Perday: 0.00

Default How do I start photography as only a hobby?

I like taking pictures but I really want to learn photography. Should I take courses for it? What courses should I take just to learn basic stuff for photography?

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

DefaultHow do I start photography as only a hobby?

You Can Go To Clubs Locally, Or Just Go To Nice Places Like Forests/Lakes/Mountains and Take Pictures.You Know Its Interesting When You've Done It All Yourself!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #3

Go to your local library or bookstore and get a couple of books on the basics.Read them and go out and put what you read into practise.Check if there are any clubs or groups in your area for hobbyists and get involved.If you want courses then check your local adult education centres which often run evening courses in basic, intermediate and advanced photography along with other things.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #4

Hi,Great news - this is a really rewarding hobby!In addition to local photo clubs and evening/short courses, the web has a huge number of tutorials. Google "photography tutorial", you will find everything from basic to advanced. Utube also has many vids on this.Best is to take pictures, look at them and ask "what could I have done better". Take a look at photosharing websites - flickr, photobucket etc and see what other people are doing - are yours better or not? This is a good and free way to improve your skills.Read magazines - not photo ones - and see what style and type of images modern professionals are taking. I am a keen reader of my wife's magazines!You should also read the camera manual - at least twice. make sure you know how to operate the various controls immediately - almost without having to think. When you are out with your camera, if in doubt - take the shot and review it later.Good luck!CheersCharles

Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #5

I can tell you one thing from personal experience: Read the manual, learn your camera, and get out and shoot lots of pictures. It doesn't matter if 85% are no good, because it's digital and you can just delete them. I read magazines and listen to podcasts, that's what they say.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
MsK

buy a good slr camera ( Cannon or Nikon ) . not too fancy afterall its a hobby. classes: intro to photo. traditional and digital Best,K

Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #7

Start out by getting a decent point & shoot and just start taking pictures of different things. Play with the settings, try different views, look for interesting things to photograph. There are several good beginner books out there to help give you pointers and ideas. Go to the library and the bookstore and flip through some until you find one you want to read. Once you get into the hobby a bit and think you will stick to it, then consider getting a more expensive camera. As far as classes, check out any local colleges in your area since many have community development classes that are free or cheap for people to take. Sometimes your local arts center will provide free or low-cost classes. You can also call some local camera stores in your area and see if there are any clubs or classes you can take part in. Local camera stores are also pretty good about helping you pick equipment and resources.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
tTECH newbie

My Ride: Nissan 350z, 06 R6
Posts Perday: 0.02
DefaultRe: How do I start photography as only a hobby?

read read read and take a basics course! if after all that you feel you want to take it further then take some more advance course and most of all take a million and 1 photos

Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Home boy...

My Ride: g37x
Posts Perday: 1.11
DefaultRe: How do I start photography as only a hobby?

^^ agree... the more photos you take the better you will get...

the only reason I took the course is to learn the basics lol I was too lazy to learn it all by myself... I might take the advance class this coming october
D one
A ccelerating