rules in buying car in Canda to the USA

This is a discussion on rules in buying car in Canda to the USA within the General - Off topic forums, part of the TunedTech's General category; Sorry if this is a newbee question nut what are the rules when i want to buy a car from someone in Canada and taking it to US and registering ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's General   General - Off topic

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
ttech Mod

My Ride: SR5
Posts Perday: 0.13

Default rules in buying car in Canda to the USA

Sorry if this is a newbee question nut what are the rules when i want to buy a car from someone in Canada and taking it to US and registering it here like in socal. i see you guys are lucky you can buy a 10yrs old Japanes car like the skyline or S15 silvia and register it with no problem but if i buy them anyone know if ill be check in the border and what will they look for?

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
tTECH member

My Ride: Civic
Posts Perday: 0.06

im not quite sure about this. but i think you will need a oop inspection

Old 05-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
tTECH newbie

My Ride: G35
Posts Perday: 0.03

i think. as long as you have all the papers that you owned the vehicle youll be alright. when i bought my first jdm car from japan i just paid someone to import it for me and have him to deal with oop inspection!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
ttech Mod

will this work, ill meet the guy from Detroit near the boarder then he drives it to the US soil then i give him the money he gives me the pink slip (i dont know if Canada has that) the i ship the car to cali.?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
tTECH newbie

My Ride: 03 RSX
Posts Perday: 0.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
will this work, ill meet the guy from Detroit near the boarder then he drives it to the US soil then i give him the money he gives me the pink slip (i dont know if Canada has that) the i ship the car to cali.?
Car must be brought into US Spec Compliance within 12 months of importation... only other way is if you are here on temporary stay (not even sure if that will work). Someone recently purchased a Skyline in the USA from someone and Customs arrived at his door and hauled it away. If you are here temporarily you cannot sell the car if it is not US Compliant.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
tTECH member

Posts Perday: 0.06

just ask the registry people for better answer..

Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
tTECH newbie

Posts Perday: 0.02

i think youll be ok.. as long as you have all the paper works! and also the oop inspection paper!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
ttech Mod

thanks guy for the info now i know whats a OOP! i dont know yet if ill do that vs just buying a strip or rolling chassis in Japan?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Home boy...

My Ride: g37x
Posts Perday: 1.18

don't you guys have an oop rules there in socal?
D one
A ccelerating

Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
ttech Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
don't you guys have an oop rules there in socal?
nope but we have more stupidest rule in auto motive registration in whole America, every other year we have what we call smog check and you need to pass it before you can register your car. only 2 way to beat that, one pay a shady guy $150 to pass your car by using a non modified car or same stock car as long as the computer will pass the required emission standard & two like what i do back then is keep the original engine and every year i swap my cars original engine in and smog it. beats the hell out of paying $150+ and i have chance to rebuild it or change something if needed. but got tired of doing that so since i have a work car anyways i just keep both of my AE86 registered as a off road use only meaning i cant drive it in the street

Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Home boy...

yea we have a similar one here. you need to get your car inspected before your car can registered but some insurance here dont require that only a few.
D one
A ccelerating

Old 05-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
ttech Mod

inspection? like smog check or just like Japan make sure nothing is broken like wind shield, turn signal and stuff? but yeah insurance also is required but i dont mind that.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
Home boy...

just to check if everything is works fine. tires thread, windshield, breaks etc...
D one
A ccelerating

Old 05-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #14
ttech Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
just to check if everything is works fine. tires thread, windshield, breaks etc...
see that easy but emission kinda hard to do, specially if your car is force inducted on a NA motor, you wont pass visual inspection lol

Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #15
Home boy...

yea fucked up.. lol
D one
A ccelerating