Tips: How to Clean your Engine Bay

This is a discussion on Tips: How to Clean your Engine Bay within the Tips - Tricks - How to's - Guides - DIY's forums, part of the TunedTech's Features category; Tips how to clean your engine bay and it yields great results. First off, do not wash the engine unless it is cool. (ie. you could leave your hand on ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's Features   Tips - Tricks - How to's - Guides - DIY's

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Home boy...

My Ride: 180sx
Posts Perday: 1.65

Default Tips: How to Clean your Engine Bay

Tips how to clean your engine bay and it yields great results.

First off, do not wash the engine unless it is cool. (ie. you could leave your hand on the headers and it's not warm)

Materials Needed
  • a sponge
  • a cleaning brush of your choice (nothing too abrasive, I use an old toothbrush)
  • a bottle of simple green diluted to 30/70 (simple green/water)
  • saran wrap
  • garden hose
  • some clean 100% cotton towels
  • Meguiar's #40 professional vinyl & rubber cleaner/conditioner

Preparation
Cover/wrap any electrical component that might get wet while washing with the saran wrap. Parts to cover include the distributor, alternator, fuse box (optional) and any exposed wiring connectors.

Rinsing
Using the garden hose, rinse the engine bay using low pressure. You basically are letting the water run over the various areas of the engine bay, not blasting it. Go over each area of the engine and do not let the water run over the same spot for an extended amount of time. The goal is to let any loose dirt run off. The heavier dirt is taken care of in the next step.

Cleaning
Spray the diluted Simple Green throughout the engine bay. Give any really dirty/greasy/oily areas a good dousing. Let the Simple Green sit for a minute or two. It starts to break down the oil & grease on it's own. Now it's time to give the engine a good scrub. Easily accessable areas can be cleaned with the sponge. (underside of the hood, valve cover, exposed paint, etc.) The harder to reach and dirtier areas are what the brush is for. It's fine to spray on a little more Simple Green on areas that you need to while scrubbing.

Rinsing
After you have finished scrubbing to your heart's content, rinse the engine bay. Again, use low pressure and let the water run over the engine. You can do more scrubbing with the brush on areas that you've missed or didn't scrub as well as you thought initially. Do not stand there with the hose in your hand and water running into your engine while doing the scrubbing though!

Drying
Do not air dry the engine. Using the towels, hand dry each part of the engine/bay. Unwrap the electrical components and use one of the more damp towels to wipe them down. Then dry them with another dry towel. Hand drying ensures two things. It prevents water from sitting and seeping into places you do not want it. It also makes sure that each part is indeed clean and will not have any water spots. After all, you wouldn't let your car air dry after washing it, so do the engine bay the same courtesy.

Plastic & Hose Detail
To get your hoses and other under-the-hood plastic looking in top shape, use the Meguiar's vinyl & rubber cleaner and a clean dry towel. To avoid overspray, spray the cleaner directly onto the towel and then wipe down the hoses and other plastic. (ie. stock intake tube)

Once you have gone through the entire process, you will have a show quality engine bay that you can be proud of and your friends will envy. (Although, I've seen some dirty engine bays at car shows) For true car show appearance, a good quailty polish can be used on the painted areas of the engine. Finsh off by polishing your polished metal pieces with some metal polish and your engine will be sparkling.

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.
D one
A ccelerating

Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
ttech Super Mod

My Ride: 06 Mazdaspeed 6
Posts Perday: 1.05
DefaultRe: Tips: How to Clean your Engine Bay

nice write up, i'm too lazy to clean my engine bay and its still spotless from factory =p,

when i put my intake in i cleaned most of it up with a wet towel and that made me happy lol, but i think i might clean it this summer =) i'm going to start to take it to shows more often

Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Home boy...

thanks dude...
D one
A ccelerating

Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
tTECH newbie

My Ride: skyline gtr
Posts Perday: 0.01

nice.. thanks for sharing..

Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
tTECH fan

My Ride: 05 Civic Coupe
Posts Perday: 0.25

There is a much simpler way, ive detailed for a good protion of my life

1) leave engine running
2)cover distributer
3)spray alll kinds of engine degreaser, preferably mixed with a hint of mag acid
4)let sit of 5 seconds
5)pressure wash it like crazy
6)repeat till desired cleanliness
7)spray armor all on all the plastics
8)smooth it out with air (be careful not to get water on it)
9) u have a brand new engine

oh and if u have chrome dont put any mag acid

Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
tTECH member

My Ride: 96 Jetta 95 Cherokee
Posts Perday: 0.13

Tip: Its nice to have tooth brushes for hard to reach areas!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
tTECH fan

yup

Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
tTECH fan

My Ride: 98 Accord
Posts Perday: 0.28

i heard instead of towel drying it, start the car to dry it. (this is for raid3n's method) would this work just as well?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
tTECH fan

yes and no cuz ull get water spots. blowing it off would be the best but if u dont have a compressor towel is the next best thing

Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
tTECH fan

My Ride: 98 Accord
Posts Perday: 0.28

ok thanks for the tips!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #11
tTECH fan

thats what this site is for :D

Old 02-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #12
Home boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3GZ View Post
thats what this site is for :D

D one
A ccelerating

Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
ttech Super Mod

My Ride: 07 Si & 92 MRII GT
Posts Perday: 0.18

great tips! I've always been using engine degreaser. I'm gonna try simple green next time.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
Home boy...

go for it! tell us how it goes!
D one
A ccelerating