DIY - Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

This is a discussion on DIY - Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild within the Tips - Tricks - How to's - Guides - DIY's forums, part of the TunedTech's Features category; So here i am again.. today i'll be writing an article that gives you idea of how to rebuild the clutch slave and master cylinder. this would be a great ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's Features   Tips - Tricks - How to's - Guides - DIY's

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Home boy...

My Ride: 180sx
Posts Perday: 1.72

Default DIY - Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

So here i am again.. today i'll be writing an article that gives you idea of how to rebuild the clutch slave and master cylinder. this would be a great idea when your doing a transmission swap/rebuild.

So here is image of the rebuild kit from Toyota.

Removal of Slave Cylinder from Tranny

1) Disconnect the clutch line & bleeder tubes from the slave cylinder. Expect some leakage. If you want to prevent as much mess as possible, bleed the system from the bleed screw.

- Remove the clip and bleeder tube with the bleeder plug from the bracket.

- Remove the 2 bolts holding the slave cylinder to the transmission and remove the cylinder.

Installation of the Rebuild Kit

1) Here's the slave out of the vehicle.

Remove the boot from the cylinder. You may have some brake fluid leak come out when you remove the boot, if the piston seals have been worn. Also remove the pin from the boot, as you will be reusing the pin.

Now you will see the piston inside the cylinder. If your seals are as worn as mine were, you can be able to remove the piston from the cylinder with your finger. If you can't do this, then you will need compressed air to 'pop' the piston out of the cylinder.

[SIZE=2]Piston and spring out of the cylinder:

-The old and new parts beside each other. Notice the o-ring seals on the 2 pistons. The old ones are flat, whereas the new ones have distinct ridges.

-Clean up the inside of the cylinder with denatured alcohol or clean brake fluid. Also clean up the old pin, use very fine sandpaper if necessary.

Attach the new spring to the new piston. Lube up the seals with grease (use the same type of grease found in the caliper rebuild kits).

- Push the spring/piston into the cylinder, spring first of course.

- Slide the pin into the boot. This takes quite a bit of force, as the fit is real tight.

- Pack grease on the face of the piston, where the pin will sit.

- Place the pin onto the piston and slide the boot over the lip of the cylinder.

- Reinstall the slave cylinder onto the transmission opposite of how you removed it. This will be a little tough lining up if your transmission is still in the car. A ton easier with the tranny out of the car of course.

- Thoroughly bleed the clutch. hope this tips help you guys.. Good luck

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.
D one
A ccelerating

Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
tTECH member

My Ride: honda
Posts Perday: 0.06
DefaultRe: DIY - Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

Nice DIY... this would be very helpful (for me anyways)

Old 12-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
ttech Mod

My Ride: my 2 feet
Posts Perday: 1.68
DefaultRe: DIY - Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

great write up raid3n

RIP twinkie u will be forever missed