Lowering with just springs?

This is a discussion on Lowering with just springs? within the Wheels - Tires - Suspensions - Brakes forums, part of the Technicals and Performance category; If I were to lower my 1999 Honda Accord V6 on Eibach or H&R springs (about 2” front and back), would I need to replace the shocks/struts as well? The ...

TunedTech.ca   Technicals and Performance   Wheels - Tires - Suspensions - Brakes

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

Posts Perday: 0.00

Default Lowering with just springs?

If I were to lower my 1999 Honda Accord V6 on Eibach or H&R springs (about 2” front and back), would I need to replace the shocks/struts as well? The reason I ask is because it is well worth it to buy in a kit versus separately. Thanks for the help.

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #2

DefaultLowering with just springs?

I would recamend changing them togather for the purpose of that if you get just the springs your car could sit un even with the stock struts being already broken in and worn but you dont have to the kit would give you better all around suspension faster through corners if thats what you want would also look better too

Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #3

You may also need front and rear camber kits to do it correctly. That's what I did to mine.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #4

Spend the extra money and change them togther. Otherwise your struts will blow out soon. My suggestion get a good set of struts such as KYB GR2's or Tokiko Illuminas. Dont go with a cheap set because they might just blow as well. Lowering a car 2 inches makes a huge difference in the suspensions geometry. Make sure you get a camber kit if needed or you will need to replace your tires soon as well.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 AM   #5

Stock shocks/struts have been known to blow out not longer after installing shorter springs. You might as well buy good shocks/struts when you get the springs so you can do it right the first and not have to go back through all that again. Or you can get coilovers that covers everything.I installed Apex World Sport coilovers on my '99 Accord and love them. You can adjust the height and the ride is not rough like some of the springs can be.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
tTECH newbie

My Ride: Dodge
Posts Perday: 0.05
DefaultRe: Lowering with just springs?

It is better to change the shocks also for improved handling. I got my Bilstein's from 4wheelonline. These shocks are slightly stiff but great for absorbing road bumps.