Tech WannaBe New here

This is a discussion on Tech WannaBe New here within the Newb Introductions & Greetings forums, part of the TunedTech's General category; With over 10 years experience in GSM Mobile phones (software) repairs, I feel its time to gradguate to auto Diagnostics and ECU Programming. Im able and willing to invest in ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's General   Newb Introductions & Greetings

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
tTECH newbie

My Ride: Renault
Posts Perday: 0.00

Default Tech WannaBe New here

With over 10 years experience in GSM Mobile phones (software) repairs, I feel its time to gradguate to auto Diagnostics and ECU Programming.

Im able and willing to invest in hardware and software stuff like Scanners and ECU Programming interfaces and softwares.

I hope im in the right forum.
Common, make me smile people

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.

Last edited by dannyogolo; 11-15-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
ttech Super Mod

My Ride: 06 Mazdaspeed 6
Posts Perday: 0.60
DefaultRe: Tech WannaBe New here

let's see if your a real person..

i'm sure this is just spam.

welcome to tuned tech

Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
tTECH newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanook View Post
let's see if your a real person..

i'm sure this is just spam.

welcome to tuned tech
Spam you said? LOL
My writeup dont look like spam, i dont think. Anyway let me make it more human, lol . . . .

I am a newbie in anything auto fixing.
Having been in GSM Mobile phone repairs for over 10 years, I have been exhausted with mobiles and have decided to move 'up' to Auto Fixing electronically.

I have researched my African market and have come to realise that currently, Module ReProgramming/ECU programming is still in the infancy, while scanning is an almost daily opportunity followed by key programming, so I intend starting out with both.

And here are the vehicle makes here in Nigeria (in order of market dominance and my preference)
Toyota
Nissan
Volkswagen
Kia
Hyundai
Benz
GM
Audi
etc

I plan to startup in 2 phases:
1 (Buy and Start immediately) - Scanning and Diagnostics + Key Programming
2 (Buy and Start when I see some promise) - Module (and ECU Module ) Reprogramming

I have not researched ECU Module Programming well enough, which I know is advanced, BUT depending on entry level tool prices, I might start it before J2534 Reprogramming (because I was told a lot of vehicles are packed up due to bad modules - I can learn with them, lol)

I have made up my mind to go for the OBDLink WiFi (When I become advanced and have some cash, I will probably get the CarDAQ-Plus, which im convinced is the best J2534 Reprogramming Interface)

My headache now is getting a good PC based scan/diagnostic software to use with the OBDLink WiFi.
I have researched a lot, but cant seem to find a PC based diagnostic software that can do basic Diagnostics AS WELL AS Enhanced Diagnostics for ALMOST all auto makes like:
- ABS
- AIR Bag
- Transmission
- Fuel Injection

For the Scan software, I am willing to invest about $250 first and upgrade when necessary with another $250 for my entry level Scan software.

I intend to later settle for the EASE DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE Since I have read that it is about the best Pro-level scan software (though I havent read they have an EUROPEAN ADD-ON - that is for later though)

FOR PC BASED SOFTWARE SCAN/DIAGNOSTICS, I have read about:
@ EASE - (Very expensive for a newbie)
@ AutoEnginuity Scan Tool - (Which I read is good, but the Add-Ons are expensive, and also you have to pay yearly renewals for EVERYTHING)
@ AUTERRA Dyno-Scan (I havent really made any serious conclussions about them)
@ DashDAQ-PC (Doesnt have enough Add-ons, especially for my market)

I would as mush as possible buy all my basic start up kits and software same time, 'cos over here we use mostly agents to make Credit card payments.

My post seems long, but that shows how desperate (and HUMAN) i am.

I AM IN NEED OF A REASONABLY PRICED DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL THAT CAN READ BASIC AND ADVANCED PARAMETERS FOR MOST OF THE AUTOMOBILE IN MY MARKET as listed above

Thanks in anticipation

Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
ttech Super Mod

Wow from Africa, huh?

Well welcome to tunedtech, i really have no idea where to get a scan tool for you (internationally) I'm sure you could find what you need by doing a simple google search. I'm sure shipping won't be cheap or easy!

I'm sorry, but after reading all that i still don't see what your goal is. Are you looking to reprogram the ECU that come stock with cars? like making your own ECU chip and sell it to a major company?

Or are you just looking to set up a shop where you diagnose people's check engine lights to see what the problem is?

I know around here we have local guys who spend THOUSANDS just to get a diagnostic tool to help pinpoint exactly what the code means and where it is happening in the car.

If you're not looking to spend a lot of money and have some experience with electronics, let me recommend in starting off with something small. like installing car electronics. have the consumer buy what they want installed and just run some wires for them.

i.e sound systems, car starters, and build up money from there to do what your goal is with the ecu programming (which i don't quite understand still)

Cheers!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
tTECH newbie

Thanks for your comments.
I have decided to go for EasyScan + autoenginuity
I am looking to start off with Scanning/Diagnostics
Then move up to ECU programming (With DruTech)
Along the line I might get into Key Programming (Which very good tools are way too expensive - about $2500)

I found out there is no short cut to spending of money if you have to do well in the field

As you can see, im ready

Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
tTECH newbie

My Ride: 1999 Ford Explorer
Posts Perday: 0.02

hahaha wow good luck with all of that. expensive to get into it and even more if you screw up.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
tTECH newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic View Post
hahaha wow good luck with all of that. expensive to get into it and even more if you screw up.
Screw up ?????
You mean screw up the business or screw up customer vehicles ?
The later sounds scary.
Precaution ideas welcome plssssssssssssss

Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
tTECH newbie

My Ride: 1999 Ford Explorer
Posts Perday: 0.02

Well you could potentially right mess up the PCM. which could mean replacing the whole unit that can become very costly, not only for the replaced part but in labor to re-flash the system. If you can do it then have at it, but express some caution.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
ttech Super Mod

Dealing with customers is definitely something that is always shady. if anything goes wrong they are going to blame someone, and that someone is you.

If you can, i'd start off at another business, get some experience doing things with cars instead of cell phones and from there you can figure out if you want to do your own thing or not.

Starting a business isn't cheap (as you can tell) and it isn't easy. you will have to invest a lot of money and a lot of time, and you won't even know the outcome until a year's time has past. you will have to advertise and build connections with people so word of mouth can spread.

I'm not sure how inspections work in africa, but maybe you can work something out with the inspection bays and have them give out a card to rejected cars with failure do to check engine lights.