Greetings from Down Under Mate.

This is a discussion on Greetings from Down Under Mate. within the Newb Introductions & Greetings forums, part of the TunedTech's General category; G'day fellow petrol heads. I've been racing Hondas for around 10 years in Newcastle, about two hours drive from Sydney. We have 2 very strong clubs in the area - ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's General   Newb Introductions & Greetings

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
tTECH member

My Ride: Honda EG V6 race car
Posts Perday: 0.06

Talking Greetings from Down Under Mate.

G'day fellow petrol heads. I've been racing Hondas for around 10 years in Newcastle, about two hours drive from Sydney. We have 2 very strong clubs in the area - one mainly does dirt racing, and the other tar, so there's something to compete in most weekends of the year.

Moving out of a MKI VW Golf I'd fitted with a 2 litre DOHC Passat motor I began a very successful stint with just a stock 1.6 EG Civic hatch in which I was able to win a number of Club Championships & State titles. Then I began to develop that car, telling the story @

I am just about finished replacing the 2 litre Frankenstein I built with a J30A4 Accord V6 - which will be the first one made in Australia. There's no manual Hondas V6's imported into Oz (which I didn't know when I started), so I've had to import a 6 speed manual lsd box from the States, together with a flywhhel and competition clutch kit. I bought a whole Accord wreck for A$2,500 - getting the engine, complete wiring loom, & driveshafts. The box cost me A$3,500 landed, 30lb flywheel $350 + shipping $350, clutch kit A$601 + $100 shipping. So the transmission cost TWICE what everything else did!

Rather than use a Hasport kit I positioned the V6 where I wanted it on a dolly and fabricated my own mounts to it, avoiding a lot of the clearance issues common with this conversion - like the Splats conversion account documented on this site.

Car should be finished in a month or so. Watch out for the step by step You Tube video soon.

regards, Bill

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.

Last edited by Aussie V-Tec nut; 04-03-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Home boy...

My Ride: g37x
Posts Perday: 1.18
DefaultRe: Greetings from Down Under Mate.

Welcome aboard mate! Glad to have another gear head

Enjoy the site and hope to see some pics of those beast in our member rides page
D one
A ccelerating

Old 04-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
ttech Mod

My Ride: my 2 feet
Posts Perday: 1.11

welcome to ttech. i really like the warning at the begining of both vids lol. i have thought about doing a v6 conversion on my old eg that i had back in the day. i decided not to because the cost was way too hi. so i wanna see this build =) best of luck

RIP twinkie u will be forever missed

Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
tTECH member

My Ride: Civic

Welcome to tunedtech bro! id like to see the build

nice vid btw..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
ttech Super Mod

My Ride: 06 Mazdaspeed 6
Posts Perday: 0.64

Welcome to tTECH =D

Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
tTECH fan

My Ride: 98 Accord
Posts Perday: 0.17

welcome to tuned tech! i have a v6 accord too. (j30a1 engine) and i want to know where you got your 6 speed transmission???? I've been looking for one for a while!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
tTECH member

My Ride: Honda EG V6 race car

I used the American "carpart.com" site to hunt down my gearbox where you can log in what part you're after and get listings of the wreckers who have them in stock. I then just kept emailing those yards until I got a response from one. Most didn't reply - probably because I was overseas and they weren't prepared to ship internationally. But you should get a better response.

You want an Acura 2005+- TL gearbox or similar (type S). The early ones don't have lsd which you can easily check. Look through the CV input holes. If you can see right through its lsd. If there's a shaft across the centre of the hole it isn't lsd.
Accord 4 cylinder Euro boxes don't fit (I tried), and cannot be adapted as the starter motor is on the engine side of the flywheel instead of on the front of the gearbox. Buy a starter motor when you buy your gearbox as the automatic ones have a different base plate pattern & don't fit.

Are you doing a Civic project or just wanting to change an Accord from auto to manual?

I've now transferred this forum to Login - EG & EH Honda Civic Hatchback Community - ClubEG6. Although I'll keep my eye out here for responses Club EG is where I'll continue the project account.

Last edited by Aussie V-Tec nut; 04-04-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:18 AM   #8
tTECH member

My Ride: Toyota

Welcome to the forum mate.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
ttech Super Mod

My Ride: Rb26det
Posts Perday: 0.16

Welcome aboard glad to have you here..

Old 04-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
tTECH fan

My Ride: 98 Accord
Posts Perday: 0.17

^^ thank you! i'm actually looking to change my accord from auto to manual...didn't realize carpart i could check that.. i was on craigslist and ebay looking and looking. glad theres and easier way. hate to ask you, but how much was it before shipping?