Car newb just saying HI (for now)

This is a discussion on Car newb just saying HI (for now) within the Newb Introductions & Greetings forums, part of the TunedTech's General category; Hay every one, My name is Brian and I drive a 91 buick skylark 2.5 4 cylinder I really joined this forum to get some help on making it a ...

TunedTech.ca   TunedTech's General   Newb Introductions & Greetings

Thank you for visiting the TunedTech Forums for the Car Enthusiasts. We setup this forum so you can chat and meet other car tuners and enthusiasts members online who have similar interests in cars. Our forums are for discussing everything from off topic to the best fuel injectors for your turbo setup. We know that not everyone has just one car, so our forum of many different cars allows you to chat about them all in one place!

Right now, You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, view our gallery, play arcade games, chat box, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast and absolutely free ...

JOIN NOW FOR FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
tTECH newbie

My Ride: 91 buick Skylark 2.5
Posts Perday: 0.02

Default Car newb just saying HI (for now)

Hay every one, My name is Brian and I drive a 91 buick skylark 2.5 4 cylinder

I really joined this forum to get some help on making it a sleeper car and get thoughts on how dumb of possible some ideas i have for my car.
I'll be the first to admit I'd not at all smart when it comes to cars but I really want to learn. I have lots of friends who I can learn from but they are more in to maintaining cars not really modding

why put mods in a 91 skylark? because it has very low miles and runs fine ( if not a little slow) and I can foresee me having this car for the next 10 - 15 years ( and i got it for free )

This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become part of the Community.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
ttech Super Mod

My Ride: 06 Mazdaspeed 6
Posts Perday: 0.64
DefaultRe: Car newb just saying HI (for now)

welcome to tuned tech! pics of the car?

What kind of engine is in it? and how many miles are on it? hopefully all the proper maintenance has been done to it throughout the years.

we can definitely help you out with that! lol

Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
tTECH newbie

2.5 liter 4 cylinder
just rolled over 35k
Maintenance was only done if necessary ( except oil that was done religiously thank god no pun intended)
did change the air filter tho and topped off the oil and other fluids
holding off on a full oil change and oil filter until I get a new valve cover gasket installed ( only a few weeks on that at most) but i do keep a quart in the car and check the oil every day
then spark plugs ( already bought them )
ran a fuel system cleaner through it
and will run Lucas oil treatment through it when i change the oil (unless I hear other advice)

after that I am going to attempt to install a cold air intake, looking at a K&N RC-5052 ( again Until better advice prevails)
then the standard muffler, rims ect ect.
I'm in the process of cleaning it now (between work and other oblations) but Pics will be coming soon, as I do want to get the full transformation down hopefully this week

Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
ttech Super Mod

As far as Intakes, it says you live in PA. So i'd go with a Short Ram Intake. You will get the same amount of gains.

I'm not sure how much of a sleeper you want this car to be, but i'm sure there isn't much hope with that engine.

I just google'd the specs of the car and the 2.5 engine only has 110hp and 130ft lb of torque.

I'd say do an engine overhaul!!! i'm not sure what your budget is, but i'm sure you can find a great engine from craigslist or somewhere for cheap!

Back to intakes
Intakes are cheap and k&n is a great brand filter to get. They are really easy to install (10 mins top on most cars) AEM, fujita, etc are all good name brands, filters are generally universal, just make sure you get the right size.

On to exhaust. really anything will do. make it a real american muscle and do straight pipes all the way through, she'll sound mean!

you will need a better transmission for sure though. i wouldn't romp on your car as she sits now. you only have 3 gears! to make it a sleeper you'll basically need:

-new engine, intake, downpipe, transmission (manual or automatic), dyno tune or a tuner, cold spark plugs, etc. definitely a project with a lot of money to invest.

If i were you, i'd go more for looks and sound!

I'll judge you more when you get the pics up!

Cheers!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
tTECH newbie

I do want to drop a 3.3 Liter V6 in there at some point (only because its what this car had as an option I really have no clue what other options I have open to any info in that)
or add an electric motor to the rear wheels (if you don't know why look up white zombie)
... or both
honestly never thought about trans ill Have to look more in to that. Correct me if I'm wrong but ill need a new trans if i put a different engine in there either way correct?
Also I'd rather keep it as quiet as possible

my darn phone camera broke no pics yet

Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
tTECH newbie

also I just bought a set of 4 bosh Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug ( I got a good deal on them 3.50 ea)
I'm guessing they are not considered "cold" spark plugs honestly never herd of it

Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Home boy...

My Ride: g37x
Posts Perday: 1.18

Welcome Moose, enjoy your stay!

agree with shanook.. go get yourself a short ram intake instead of cold air although cold air will give you more flow.

posting some pic will give as an idea on what to advice
D one
A ccelerating

Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
tTECH newbie

Pics are up got my camera working if you want a close up/better picture of anything let me know

91 buick skylark 2.5 4 cylinder project car

Last edited by moose; 10-26-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: bad adress

Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
ttech Super Mod

you don't HAVE to touch the tranny, but you should definitely keep an eye on it. The one that's in there now is made for your engine you have now.

If you start adding more power to it and putting more stress on it, lifetime on it will generally decrease. i didn't look into the 3.3L option they came with, so i'm not sure if they have a different transmission set up.

maybe they had a 4th gear which would make a lot more sense.

Mind if i ask how your getting your car fixed for free??

Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
tTECH newbie

church friend :)